Rumors have circulated for years about Disney potentially building a new theme park in Texas. With the recent announcement that Universal Studios is developing a new park near Dallas, speculation has grown even more.
In this article, we’ll explore the possibilities of Disney expanding to Texas and look at where Disney currently has theme parks worldwide. Read Also Best Restaurants at Epcot
What Theme Park Is Coming to Texas?
While Disney has no confirmed plans for a Texas park, Universal Studios is bringing a new theme park to the state.
In January 2023, Universal announced it would open a family-friendly theme park in Frisco, Texas as part of a large development project. The park will be more scaled-down compared to Universal’s Orlando and Hollywood locations.
The new Universal Park will feature kid-friendly rides and attractions themed to DreamWorks Animation franchises like Trolls, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, and more. It will be located just north of Dallas, allowing Universal to tap into the large metropolitan area.
This will be the first major theme park added to Texas. The mild climate and central U.S. location make it a smart expansion move for Universal.
Will Disney Ever Leave Florida?
It’s highly unlikely that Disney would ever leave Florida, where its Walt Disney World Resort has operated successfully for 50 years.
Disney World spans over 25,000 acres and comprises four major theme parks, two water parks, dozens of hotels, and much more. The massive resort attracted 58.9 million visitors in 2021, according to Statista.
Relocating to Disney World would come at an astronomical cost. The parks, attractions, infrastructure, and buildings are all permanently constructed in Orlando. It would be impossible for Disney to pack up and move the entire resort.
Despite some political turmoil between Disney and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, Disney World remains the crown jewel of Disney’s theme park empire. Disney will continue investing billions into the resort.
So, Where Does Disney Have Theme Parks?
While a Disney theme park in Texas isn’t happening soon, Disney still has a global theme park empire spanning North America, Europe, and Asia.
Here’s an overview of Disney’s 12 theme park resorts around the world:
Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida
The largest Disney resort features 4 theme parks:
- Magic Kingdom – Disney’s original park with Cinderella Castle and classic rides.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom – Rides and zoo exhibits featuring animals and nature.
- EPCOT – Park themed to world cultures and futuristic technology.
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios – Themed to Hollywood with movie rides and Star Wars land.
Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California
Disney’s original theme park and West Coast resort include:
- Disneyland – The OG Disney park with timeless rides like Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Disney California Adventure – Second gate focusing on Pixar and California themes.
Disneyland Paris, France
Europe’s most visited theme resort outside Paris:
- Disneyland Park – European version of Magic Kingdom with classic attractions.
- Walt Disney Studios – Movie-production theme park.
Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
Disney’s smallest castle park on Lantau Island, Hong Kong:
- Hong Kong Disneyland – Magic Kingdom-style park with unique attractions like Mystic Manor.
Shanghai Disney Resort, China
Disney’s newest resort opened in 2016:
- Shanghai Disneyland – Park combining Magic Kingdom and Adventureland elements.
Tokyo Disney Resort, Japan
First Disney resort outside the U.S. located in Urayasu, Chiba:
- Tokyo Disneyland – Most visited Disney park globally with unique attractions.
- Tokyo Disney Sea – Disney’s best-rated park themed to nautical exploration.
What’s in the Works for Disney?
Disney is continuing to expand its theme park empire with new attractions, lands, and hotels coming to its resorts through 2023 and beyond:
- Disney is developing a new residential community called Storyliving by Disney in Rancho Mirage, California near Palm Springs.
- Epcot is undergoing a major multi-year expansion adding new rides and lands.
- Avengers Campus opened at Disneyland and Disneyland Paris, with more Marvel theming on the way.
- New Star Wars hotel and attractions coming to Disney World.
- Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Contemporary Resort are getting major renovations.
New Cruise Ships
- Disney Cruise Line has three new ships on order debuting 2022-2025.
While an entirely new Disney resort in Texas isn’t in active development, Disney still has major expansion plans for its existing theme park destinations worldwide.
In summary, despite rumors, Disney does not currently have plans to build a new theme park in Texas in the foreseeable future. The company is focused on expanding its established resorts in Florida, California, and other locations globally.
Universal Studios is the only major theme park developer with an upcoming project in Texas. Their new kid-friendly park will open near Dallas, giving Universal a presence in the state.
Disney already operates a vast theme park empire across three continents. For now, Disney appears content with enhancing its 12 current resorts through new attractions, lands, hotels, and cruise ships. While a Disney park in Texas is possible someday, it’s not confirmed on Disney’s radar.